• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Community Event: Canyon Race Saturday May 7th 17:00 GM (provisional)T
Venue:  The astounding 8km deep ice canyons of Millcayac 1A

Time: Assemble from 17:00.  We intend to start the race by 17:30, instancing allowing. (Time selected to allow competitors from Asia and USA/Canada to compete)  this may be adjusted according to the composition of the field.

Who can enter: Any pilot who has announced their intention to compete up to 15:00 on the day of the race. 

Structure/Rules:
  • To improve instancing the race will take place in private group* 
  • The race with be linear i.e. point to point. The start will be from behind and below a starting marshal, the finish line will be below and behind a finish line marshal.
  • No weapon use is allowed. 
  • There will be waypoints in the canyon marked by race marshals that you have to pass below.  Continuing without passing under the waypoint will lead to disqualification
  • You must stay within the canyon. 
  • If there are many competitor we will run heats.

Other than that its freestyle.  All ships allowed, all builds allowed.  We will ensure that no waypoint prevents the passage of any ship. (We got a Python stuck in the base of a canyon while scouting for a venue)

Coordination
We will use TS and or Dischord to organise the race, but the starting gun will be a communication via you ships comms panel.

The Prize: As much Painite as you can carry in your competition ship after the race, and the honour of course.  In the unlikely event of a Cutter winning we will issue an IOU.

*The group is Valentina Tereshkova.  By joining you agree not to use any form of weapon whilst in the jurisdiction of Millcayac.

Please sign up below and feel free to ask questions.

the venue 
[Image: Screenshot%2B2016-04-29%2B21.33.48.jpg]
List of confirmed competitors and their time zones:

CMDR Markzx59 (planning on bringing an Imperial Eagle (GMT +1)
CMDR TheNakedApe (Viper) GMT +10
CMDR Rogallo (Viper) GMT +1
Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr (Cobra/Viper) GMT +1
CMDR Lucifer Wolfgang (Orca) GMT-6
CMDR Soda Popinski (DBS) GMT -8
Cmdr Justin Joying-McSelf (Viper, probably) GMT +1
CMDR AlexRusich Cobra/Viper GMT+3
CMDR Kami Hoshino Cobra/Viper GMT-8
CMDR GutenbergPL DBS GMT +2
CMDR Coggernaught Imperial Eagle GMT -8
(2016-05-02, 08:16 AM)Jane Turner Wrote: The Prize: As much Painite as you can carry in your competition ship after the race, and the honour of course.  In the unlikely event of a Cutter winning we will issue an IOU.
Ummm.... My racing Viper hasn't got any cargo racks...
We will be searching for two multiply interconnected canyons, making this a circuit (or rather trapezoid) course requiring some navigational skill.
Was having some fun last night in the canyons and it occurred to me that it would be an interesting challenge if overtaking has to be done below the ship you are passing, no overtaking above. What do you think?
I'd say that would take away a dimension from flying - less fun.
In contrast I think it would be great fun but very hard to administer!
In the 2.1 beta build, the devs report that they got a lightweight racing Viper to boost past 850m/s.

<Mario voice>Ima gonna win!</Mario voice>
more like I'm going to face plant quicker!
(2016-05-05, 11:57 PM)the100thmonkey Wrote: In the 2.1 beta build, the devs report that they got a lightweight racing Viper to boost past 850m/s.

<Mario voice>Ima gonna win!</Mario voice>

That can't be right, I outfitted a ViperMkIII in the beta for racing, and only reached 568m/s...Are you sure about that number? Can you give me a link?
Of course 850m/s would be awesome!

By the way Vinci Ring's outfitter is not quite friendly for racing builds. Scott Station in HIP 93685 is full-equipped for that, though it's farther from Millcayac unfortunately.